Monday, September 19, 2011

Just one of those days...

Do you ever have those days when everything seems hard? That was me, this last Saturday, it was kinda rough. I only got 6 hours of sleep because addie woke up in the middle of the night with a leaking diaper, after changing the sheets and putting baby back down it took awhile for me to fall asleep. Anyways, I felt like a zoombie all day, not really motivated, so I handed the baby off to Peter to take care of her for most of the day. By 5:30 I did not feel like making dinner but I hadn't done anything productive so I wanted to accomplish something, anything! I cracked open my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and voila! This recipe jumped out of the book and said "pick me, pick me!" So of course I did and it turned out fabulous! Definitely a keeper and sooo easy. I thought I would share it since it was so delish. 


Two-Bean Tamale Pie
1 Cup chopped green sweet pepper (didn't have this so i did diced tomatoes instead)
1/2 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. cooking oil
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
Editors Note: I added 1 can of corn
1 6 ounce can of vegetable juice (embarrassing but i have never used this or heard of it so i figured the tomatoes and juice would take it's place)
I small can diced green chile peppers
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 8.5 ounce package corn muffin mix
1/2 cup shredded cheese
handful of cilantro


1. Grease a 2-guart square or rectangle baking dish. In a medium skillet cook sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in kidney beans, pinto beans, vegetable juice (or diced tomatoes and/or corn), chile peppers, chili powder, and cumin. heat through. Spoon bean mixture into prepared dish.


2. Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions, add cheese and cilantro, stirring just until combined. Spoon cornbread mixture evenly in a 400 degree oven about 20-25 minutes or until golden. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...